Google
 

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Pumpkin time

Hi again....Im still on my fall kick and since October's begun lets have a little chat about pumpkins. If your neighborhood is anything like mine, pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns are allready scattered across lawns in preperation for Samhein (or Halloween). Pumpkins are one of the most well-known symbolls of what has become a main stream holiday. This time of year pagans and non-pagans alike carve faces into pumpkins, creating jack-o-lanterns. However, not many people know that the first jack-o-lanterns were made in Ireland 2,000 years ago in order to frighten away evil spirits. But the Irish didn.t original use pumpkins...instead they chose..can you gues??...potatoes :). Here's a little recipe I picked up...hope you enjoy.


PUMPKIN PIE (makes one 9" pie)

1 1/2 cups cooked pumpin (canned is ok )
5/8 cups evaporated milk
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 well beaten eggs

preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit, mix all ingredients and pour into unbaked pie shell, bake for about 50 minutes

2 comments:

jon be me said...

Hey Dehlia,
nice to meet you. You left a comment earlier on my "rightorrong" blog, so I haaaaaad to check out yours. right?

Anyway, speaking of "pumpintime", my birthday (the day I returned to this earth) is on Halloween...yup, October 31st. Maybe you can write a post on the significance of being born on this special day?

thanks
be cool
take care
peace luv and happee-ness

Jonbeme

Dehlia said...

Hey good to hear from you, hope you enjoyed reading my stuff as much as I did yours :)